SC - OT - freezing things

Philippa Alderton phlip at morganco.net
Wed Aug 30 07:31:44 PDT 2000

Merald skrev:

>     I would like to use the milk for a brewing recipe for fermented mares
>milk in an AS competition in February. I have access now to the milk, but
>Feb. is early for foals in this area.

OK, it sounds like you're making a kumiss- type of thing. I'm starting to
get REALLY interested now, because I've been in a long conversation with a
Turkophile friend who has been telling me about the foodways of the Turkic
nomads he has lived amongst, in hopes that this might give me some insight
into what and how my Khazars ate around 500. I know what many of their basic
foodstuffs were, I'm trying to get an idea about how they cooked it and put
it together ;-) Along those lines, I'd love to see the recipe you're using,
and what the source is.

My suggestion, then, would be to get some mare's milk now, and try it vs the
foal milk sold commercially, and see if the two taste close enough that you
can fairly use the substitute milk. You might also want to wait to enter the
milk project in a later A&S project, when you have access to the mare's
milk- I strongly suspect that the freezing will give you some possibly
insurmountable textural changes- all milk contains varying proprtions of
milk solids, basicly the proteins, water, and fat, and the combination
generally doesn't freeze together very well, as no doubt you've seen from
other comments on the List- unless, of course, you homogenize it, and I
suspect that might defeat your purposes.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous