SC - interesting URL - food shopping!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 31 10:51:05 PDT 2000

Elaine Koogler wrote:

> I've had the Elizabethan preserves/jams, and they are wonderful.  I have
> considered contacting the company for the recipes as they are supposed to be
> from period sources, but never quite got around to it.

Lemon curd as we know it today _appears_ to be an invention of the early
20th century. I did a little research into this topic a year or so ago,
and the oldest use of the term "lemon curd" that I could find was an
18th-century tart made with lemon curd-- milk or cream curdled with
lemon, and drained and used in a cheesecake-type dish. The oldest recipe
I was able to find that described the sort of egg-yolky lemon jam that
we associate with lemon curd today, was from roughly the First World War.

I could be wrong about this, I may simply have looked in the wrong
places, but I assume that raspberry curd is made the same way as lemon
curd is today, and is no older.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy