SC - Finally going to cook something period!!!

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Aug 31 22:42:10 PDT 2000

Lady Celia des L'archier said:
> > I like to make ember day tarts, daryoles, wheat or barley frumenty,
> icelandic
> > chicken and onion soppes as they are usually fairly acceptable for
> firsttimers,
> > fairly easy to make and rather tasty. I think that gingerbrede is also a
> good
> > chioce, as well as compost and perhaps you might try a salat [if we
> decide
> > through discussion that we can eat them out of season ;-)  ]
>
> o.k. ... I'm going to play newbie here...
>
> Since these are obviously common foods well known to the usual members of
> this list, but might have new folks going <huh!?!>, would you please take a
> moment to define what types of foods each of the above is and give a
> pointer (I know they're probably in the flori-thingy <g>, but *where*) to a
> recipe.

Ok, I'll try. Let's see if I can get all of them. :-)

(All of these will be in the FOOD section unless mentioned otherwise)
ember day tarts -
meat-pies-msg     (97K)  4/12/00    Period meat pies. Recipes.
daryoles -
I'm not sure what these are. I do remember talking about them though.
wheat or barley frumenty -
frumenty-msg      (48K)  4/ 7/99    A period cooked grain dish, often barley.
icelandic chicken - Numerous recipes and comments in:
chicken-msg      (138K)  9/27/99    Period and SCA chicken recipes.
  I just added about 32K to this file today and split off roast-chicken-msg
from it. I may have it on the web after this weekend.
onion soppes -
sops-msg           (8K)  7/20/00    Slices of bread soaked in a sauce.
  In FOOD-BREADS. Maybe there or more likely:
onions-msg        (42K)  5/17/00    Period onions. Scallions, shallots. recipes.
  In the FOOD-VEGETABLES section.
gingerbrede -
gingerbread-msg   (39K)  1/31/00    Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.
  In FOOD-SWEETS
compost -
pickled-food-msg (118K)  5/23/00    Medieval pickled food. recipes.
salat -
salads-msg        (97K)  5/23/00    Period salads. lettuce, greens.

I don't have to time to verify that each of those food items is in
the files I named, but those are the ones I would look in first.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net