SC - Cardinal Grapes

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Aug 1 05:02:47 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/31/00 1:13:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time, steldr at home.net
writes:

<< I know we've had some discussion on grape types in period and that concord
 grapes are a modern creation >>

Various concord types are indeed the result of selective breeding using
labrusca grapes which are the native American variety of grapes.

<<- I was just at a produce shop here in Tulsa and they had cardinal grapes
- -- can anyone tell me more about them?  Are they  still a concord type??? >>

Cardinal grapes were developed in 1939 CE at the Horticulture Station in
Fresno, California. They are vinifera in ancestry.

A table grape which would be useful at feasts would be Thompson Seedless
which originally come from Iran. Another variety of table grapes on the
market which has an ancient history  is Regina (introduced from Syria to
Italy by the Romans),

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol
http://members.aol.com/AbhainnCG/