SC - saffron

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Thu Aug 3 06:44:42 PDT 2000

- --=====================_2456956==_.ALT

hey all from Anne-Marie

>Harriet asked:
>> Also -- since my folks also brought back a bit of Spanish Saffron --
>> anyone have a really good saffron recipe?  Paella recipes?  Those
>> Saffron waffers?

my favorite recipe that highlights saffron is a sweet custard. I need to be
careful not to add too much sometimes, since not everyone likes saffron the
way
I do :).

Enjoy! all rights reserved, no publication without permission, of course :).

CUSTARD TARTS: Most every European source (even Apicius, from Ancient
Rome!) has
a version of this. I came up with this one by combining a couple of them. You
may make it one big tart or a bunch of little ones. This is a recipe I use to
show modern people just how accessible medieval food can be.

Doucetes. Take Creme a gode cupfulle, and put it on a straynour, thanne take
yolkes of Eyroun, and put ther-to and a lytle mylke; then strayne it throw a
straynour in-to a bolle; then take sugre y-now, and put ther-to, or ellys hony
forde faute of sugre, than coloure it with Safroun; than take thin cofyns, and
put it in the ovynne letre, and lat hem ben hardyd; than take a dyshche
y-fastenyd on the pelys end, and pore thin comade in-to the dyssche, and fro
the dyssche in-to the cofyns; and whan they don a-ryse wel, teke hem out and
serue hem forth. Harleian MS 279 c. 1420.

To Make a Custard. Breake your Egges into a bowle, and put your Creame into
another bowle, and strain your egges into the creame, and put in saffron,
cloves, and mace, and a little synamon and ginger, and if you will some suger
and butter, and season it with salte, and melt your butter, and stirre it with
the ladle a good while, and dubbe your custard with dates or currans. The Good
Huswifes Jewell (1596).

8" pie shell
1 c. half and half
3 egg yolks, beaten
1/8 t. mace
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. ginger
3 T honey
1/8 t. salt
1/8 t. clove
1 T. hot water, plus a pinch of saffron threads, mooshed to get the color out.
chopped dates or currants (optional)

Mix all the ingredients well, add the saffron. Dub with dates or currants, if
desired. Bake 325o for 40-50 min, till a knife inserted in the center comes
out
clean.

- --=====================_2456956==_.ALT

hey all from Anne-Marie<br>
>Harriet asked:<br>
>> Also -- since my folks also brought back a bit of Spanish
Saffron --<br>
>> anyone have a really good saffron recipe?  Paella
recipes?  Those<br>
>> Saffron waffers?<br>
my favorite recipe that highlights saffron is a sweet custard. I need to
be careful not to add too much sometimes, since not everyone likes
saffron the way I do :).<br>
Enjoy! all rights reserved, no publication without permission, of course
:).<br>
<b>CUSTARD TARTS: </b>Most every European source (even Apicius, from
Ancient Rome!) has a version of this. I came up with this one by
combining a couple of them. You may make it one big tart or a bunch of
little ones. This is a recipe I use to show modern people just how
accessible medieval food can be.<br>
Doucetes. <i>Take Creme a gode cupfulle, and put it on a straynour,
thanne take yolkes of Eyroun, and put ther-to and a lytle mylke; then
strayne it throw a straynour in-to a bolle; then take sugre y-now, and
put ther-to, or ellys hony forde faute of sugre, than coloure it with
Safroun; than take thin cofyns, and put it in the ovynne letre, and lat
hem ben hardyd; than take a dyshche y-fastenyd on the pelys end, and pore
thin comade in-to the dyssche, and fro the dyssche in-to the cofyns; and
whan they don a-ryse wel, teke hem out and serue hem forth.</i> Harleian
MS 279 c. 1420.<br>
To Make a Custard. <i>Breake your Egges into a bowle, and put your Creame
into another bowle, and strain your egges into the creame, and put in
saffron, cloves, and mace, and a little synamon and ginger, and if you
will some suger and butter, and season it with salte, and melt your
butter, and stirre it with the ladle a good while, and dubbe your custard
with dates or currans. </i>The Good Huswifes Jewell (1596).<br>
8" pie shell<br>
1 c. half and half<br>
3 egg yolks, beaten<br>
1/8 t. mace<br>
1/4 t. cinnamon<br>
1/4 t. ginger<br>
3 T honey<br>
1/8 t. salt<br>
1/8 t. clove<br>
1 T. hot water, plus a pinch of saffron threads, mooshed to get the color
out.<br>
chopped dates or currants (optional)<br>
Mix all the ingredients well, add the saffron. Dub with dates or
currants, if desired. Bake 325o for 40-50 min, till a knife inserted in
the center comes out clean.<br>