SC - Looking for period crabmeat recipes - Non-member account

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Aug 4 14:21:21 PDT 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Several weeks ago I bought about half-a-dozen cans of
> crabmeat when I saw them on sale. I specifically had
> in mind using them in a period recipe when I bought them.
<snip>
> So anyone have any resources to recommend? Or have some
> recipes using crabmeat they would like to post?

I vaguely recall that the first recipe in the Proper Neue Book of Cokery
is for dressing a crab. I'll see if I can scare it up later this
evening, but I think it involves removing the meat from the shell,
seasoning it, probably with butter and vinegar, possibly powdered
spices, and putting it back in the carapace for reheating. (Okay,
Stefan, you can use a ramekin or baking dish, lacking the shells.)
Period Crab Imperial, sort of. Also similar to Chiquart's recipe for
stuffed crayfish.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy