SC - Looking for period crabmeat recipes - Non-member account

Korrin S DaArdain korrin.daardain at juno.com
Fri Aug 4 21:39:30 PDT 2000

On Fri, 04 Aug 2000 12:22:28 -0500 "Michael F. Gunter"
<michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com> writes:

>Several weeks ago I bought about half-a-dozen cans of
>crabmeat when I saw them on sale. I specifically had
>in mind using them in a period recipe when I bought them.

snip

>So anyone have any resources to recommend? Or have some
>recipes using crabmeat they would like to post?
>
>Thanks.
>  Stefan li Rous
>  stefan at texas.net (writing from my work address)

I found one with two versions.

Korrin S. DaArdain
Korrin.DaArdain at Juno.com

	Vyaunde de Cyprys in Lent (English, 15th c.)
	Two Fifteenth Century p. 28/57
	From Cariadoc's Miscellany, Copyright © by David Friedman, 1988,
1990, 1992.
	Take good thick milk of almonds, and do it on a pot; nym the
flesh of good crabs, and good salmon, and bray it small, and temper it up
with the foresaid milk; boil it, and lye it with flour of rice or
amyndoun, and make it chargeaunt; when it is yboiled, do thereto white
sugar, a gode quantitie of white vernage pimes (apparently a wine like
muscadine) with the wine, pomegranate. When it is ydressed, strew above
the grains of pomegranate.
	almond milk: 2 oz blanched almonds, 1 c water
	7 oz crabmeat
	7 oz salmon
	2 T rice flour
	3 T sugar
	4 t Rhine wine
	2 T pomegranate juice
	pomegranate seeds
	Almond milk: Grind almonds in food processor, mix in 1/2 c water
and grind more, squeeze liquid out through thin cloth, add residue to 1/4
c water and grind in processor again, squeeze again, repeat with another
1/4 c water.
	Remove skin and bones from salmon, cut salmon and crab into cubes
and shred with French chef's knife. Mix fish and almond milk and cook
over medium heat; add sugar, wine, and pomegranate juice after 5 minutes;
add rice flour after 11 minutes, cook, stirring, another minute, remove
from heat and keep stirring another half minute. Garnish with pomegranate
seeds.
	Vyaunde de Cyprys in Lent (Crab and Salmon Mould)
	From Seven Centuries of English Cooking. A collection of Recipes.
By Maxime de la Falaise Edited by Arabella Boxer. Published by Grove
Press Printed in 10/92. ISBN 0-8021-3296-0. Posted by Aldyth
(Aldyth at aol.com)
	Vyaunde de Cyprys in Lent: Two Fifteenth Century Cookbooks. Take
Gode thikke mylke of Almaundys, & do it on a potte: & nyme the Fleysshe
of fode Crabbys, &gode Samoun, & bray it smal, & tempere yt uppe with the
forsayd mylke; boyle it, an Iye it with floure of Rys or Amyndoun, an
make it chargeaunt; when it ys y-boylid, do ther-to whyte Sugre, a gode
quantyte of whyte Vernage Pime, with the wyne, Pome-garnade. When it is
y-dressyd, straw a-boue the grayne of Pome-garnade.
	1/2 pound fresh crab meat, cooked
	1/2 pound salmon, cooked
	1 cup almond milk
	2 TBS Rice flour
	2 TBS White Wine
	2 TBS Sugar
	Seeds from 1-2 pomegranates
	Flake the crab meat and salmon, put them in a blender with the
almond milk and puree. Spoon into saucepan, heat gently and sprinkle in
the flour. Stir until thickened, and then add the wine and sugar. Stir in
the pomegranate seeds and season to taste with a little pepper and salt.
Chill in a wetted mould. Turn out to serve. Serves 3-4