SC -corn in the USA

BalthazarBlack at aol.com BalthazarBlack at aol.com
Sat Aug 5 17:12:21 PDT 2000

TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:

>  Arrowroot powder which is either the ground tuber or the starch
>  extracted from the tuber of the arrowroot is also used as a thickener, but
>  have no experience with it.

Arrowroot provides a little less thickening power than cornstarch (2/3
roughly) but produces a smoother, satiny sauce.  It also tends to clarify a
little more than cornstarch.  In my experience with arrowroot, however, I
have found that it tends to lose a lot of it's thickening ability when it is
re-heated.  I believe that (and possibly cost) is why it is not in more
common use here in the U.S.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

In the mornin' I go walking, 'cause it helps the hurtin' soften.  I've seen a
lot of places, 'cause I miss her very often.