SC - Planning an unusual feast (14th Cent Chinese)

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Sun Aug 6 20:57:44 PDT 2000

Folks,

I was just putting together a few thoughts at lunch...
I would really appreciate your opinions on this project.
I plan on at least 2 year preparation time for this...
Am I crazy, over-ambitious, or just stark raving looney?

I've gotta work on several points for the feast plan below

1) Eating and serving habits

There's more info in E Anderson's A Soup for the Qan I believe, but I cannot
afford the US$225 price.  Any help finding me a cheaper copy would be
appreciated?

An uneducated guess is that perhaps a series of servers, moving dishes around
"Yum Cha" style?  Logistics for this feast is a prob.  as well as the fact that
I live 100mi inland, making seafood more expensive and rarer.

2) Appropriate order of the feast

See point 1.  I took a rough guess below.

3) Working on acceptance in SCA Context

Perhaps, a scenario would be a chinese chef cooking for the venetian court.
The guests all eat chinese food, dressed in western garb with western hall
deco.  Chinese entertainment perhaps too. (where on earth would I research
this???)

All recipes are from Ni Tsan's Cloud Forest Hall Rules for Eating and Drinking,
translated by T Wang & E Anderson, published in Petits Propos Culinaires no.
60.

Menu for Cloud Forest Hall Feast
- --------------------------------

1st Set  (lighter, more fiddly dishes)

	Honeyed Stuffed Crabs		(Seafood)
	Green Shrimp Rolls		(Seafood)
	River Scallops			(Seafood)
	Yellow Bird Buns		(Fowl)
	BBQ Pork			(Pork)
	Wheat Noodles in Broth		(Cereal w/- Fowl)
	Pickled Ginger			(Vegetable)
	Cooked Radish			(Vegetable)
	Rice Wine			(Alcohol)
	Tangerine Flower Tea		(Hot Drink)

2nd Set  (heavier dishes)

	Wine cooked Crabs		(Seafood)
	Ark Shells (Cockles)		(Seafood)
	Wonton in Broth			(Any minced meat)
	Quick-cooked meat stew		(Pork)
	BBQ Goose			(Fowl)
	Cooked Wheat Gluten		(Cereal)
	'Snow Temple' Vegetable		(Vegetable & Dairy)
	Pickled Bamboo Shoots		(Vegetable)
	Fragrant Citron Fry		(Sweet)
	Mung Bean Wine			(Alcohol)
	Lotus Flower Tea		(Hot Drink)

About 1/2 these I have prepared redactions for, a few I have actually
attempted...

Regards,

Drake.

AMMS System Administrator, PO Box 367 Canberra City 2601
Engineering Services,      Phone: +61 2 6268 5099
Air Services Australia.    Fax: +61 2 6268 5020
E-Mail: craig.jones at airservices.gov.au