SC - Jelly Bean and other flavours

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Thu Aug 10 19:20:13 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From:  Balthazar of Blackmoor
> To be honest, it sounds more like "too much" cream in the ice cream.  The
> butterfat in cream will quickly congeal when it gets cold, even more so in
> double cream.  If the egg-to-cream ratio is not enough to fully emulsify
the
> extra cream, then you can get that "greasy" or "waxy" feeling on the
palate
> when you eat it.

Yes, this makes sense.

The reason I suggested not starting the beating until everything is totally
chilled and crystals are forming is that I have had this very problem making
Philadelphia Vanilla (I will go and scout out the recipe later - it is very
simple and very delicious) which uses half and half and no eggs.  I found
that if I started the machine after the mixture had begun to freeze I didn't
get the buttery feeling in my mouth, but if I did it beforehand, I did.

Gwynydd