SC - Eggplant 'confusion'

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Aug 14 16:47:27 PDT 2000

TG wrote:

> Then, on fol. 151b and 363a
> there are several recipes with "molignane". If I am not mistaken, this
> is yet another word form for eggplants. (The parallel recipe to the
> Neapolitan recipe collection #33 in the Riva del Garda Manuscript of
> Maestro Martino begins: "103. Per fare cocere li mollegnani ...";
> Benporat p. 190).

I believe this spelling/pronunciation is still used today among some
Americans of Southern Italian descent, particularly Americans of
Neapolitan and Sicilian ancestry. I don't know if this is the case for
current residents of these places, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com