SC - Cleveland Museum of Art

H B nn3_shay at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 16 07:08:00 PDT 2000

I will be going to the Cleveland Museum of Art this Saturday (Aug. 19).
 I will be taking my camera, but I won't be dragging a ton of lenses
around all day, and flashes and tripods aren't permitted; in addition,
I haven't been there before, so I don't know how close to things I can
get.  But if there's anything specific that someone on the list(s)
wants, I would try to get it.  I do have a scanner to scan and send
photos, if they turn out.

Fot those who don't know the museum, their web site is at

http://www.clemusart.com/

and gives a pretty good idea of their collections (I think).  They have
recently re-done the Armor Court, where I will spend some time (anyone
want photos of fastenings/backsides that don't get into the pretty
picture books?).  The Gallery of Early Christian and Byzantine Art is
still closed for renovation, unfortunately.  Also, the "Jeanne Miles
Blackburn Collection of Manuscript Illuminations" special exhibit ended
several months ago, but the museum still has the catalog available, as
is the one for "Vatican Treasures: Early Christian, Renaissance, and
Baroque Art from the Papal Collections" ("Budget HOW much time for the
museum shop?!?" :-) ).  And I will spend a bit of time with the
museum's own medieval manuscripts and the Medieval and Islamic Art
section, and the tapestries and stuff in Decorative Arts & Textiles.

However, my own main focus will be on jewelry and metalwork, the Guelph
Treasure and other early/Medieval jewelry and decorative objects.

And I might even want to look in on a few other, non-Medieval areas!

If you want me to look at / photograph anything specific, please email
me directly and describe as specifically as possible what you want and
why, and I will try.  I only have 5-6 hours total at the museum, and
will be with several other people (whom I have encouraged to bring
reading material to occupy them after they've cruised through and I'm
dwaddling over of some piece of metal/fabric/whatever).  I will start
with the things that interest me most, but if your description of
something piques my curiousity, my list of priorities may be
re-ordered!

I will be leaving entirely too early Saturday morning, so send any
requests ASAP, in case I have any clarification questions for you.

- -- Harriet