SC - Haggis and Strawberries

Mon Aug 21 11:00:57 PDT 2000

I would not bet that these are "European" strawberries.  New World
strawberries were imported into Europe.  The New World berries produced
bigger, brighter fruit and better crop yields and were easier to hybridize
than the European strawberries.  The original hybridization was done in
France in the 18th Century and then spread to other countries.  The hybrids
became a European agricultural product.

Names like "American King" and "London Best" are trade names and provide no
taxonomic information.  To really know what you are looking at, you need the
scientific name, or the hybridization lineage, or a chromosome count (14 for
the European woodland, 26 for the musky, and 52 for the New World varieties,
IIRC).

Bear