SC - Re: Back from War - Platina Recipe (long)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Aug 21 16:28:12 PDT 2000

ChannonM at aol.com wrote:

> *The fish juice issue threw me for a while. I was debating whether this was a
> garum (i.e. Roman fish sauce) type thing or if it was just a fish broth.
> There were a few recipes later in the manuscript that used fish juice to make
> the dish thicker which lead me to believe that this was much more like using
> a gelatin than using the liquid as a source of flavour. Isinglass being a
> source of gelatin is a fish derivative and fit the bill.

The gelatin aspect isn't far off, but it might be interesting tried with
reduced fush jus or drippings. In other words, the dissolved gelatinous
schtuff that comes from the cooking process, but isn't diluted or
dissolved in water the way a broth would be. The juice from a roast or
steamed whole fish would be ideal, I suspect. Alternately, a fish stock
cooked down to almost a syrup would be good. However, such things can
have a tendency to burn; you need to watch it carefully as it thickens.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com