SC - need calamari advice

Alan mcdowell leoncouer at lycos.com
Tue Aug 22 19:31:56 PDT 2000

- --

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 16:02:12
 DeSevyngy wrote:
>In a message dated 8/22/00 8:43:36 AM Mountain Daylight Time, rispoli at gte.net
>writes:
>
><< My grandmother taught me that the longer you cook calamari the chewier it
> gets.  when she made calamari rings she sauted them with garlic and oil than
> added tomato paste and stirred till the paste and oil combined.
> Save the tenticles they are great in fish salad alond with the rings, conch,
> and shrimp with a vinegar/lemon juice dressing >>
>
>Your grandmother was a wise woman.  I cut my teeth on calamari and the like.
>The faster the cooking method the better.  Calamari, like shrimp, will stay
>delicate and moist in nature when not over cooked.  Calamari "steaks" do very
>well when served "Piccatta" in a creamy lemon and caper sauce, also try using
>the ink in risotto, the very delicate flavor off sets a remarkably dramatic
>appearance.
>
>Now my stomach is rumbling and I'll have to plan another trip home, you just
>can not get fresh seafood in Utah!
>
>Isabeau
>

>HL Isabeau de Sevyngy
>Squired to Sir Sakura kita no Maikeru
>Shire of Gryphons Lair
>Artemisia

*** Pardon the intrusion M'lady.  However, I have a pressing question; How the deuce does one clean calamari?  And is it good
deep fried in a batter? I can obtain calamari both fresh and frozen but balked
at all the 'eyes' and tentacles.  >laughing<
Squeamishness from a big game hunter...go figure.

- -Leoncouer