SC - Re: Pennsic Tales

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Aug 22 21:35:35 PDT 2000

Par said:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 ChannonM at aol.com wrote:
> > I will endeavor to serve acorns at every cooking activity I do.....
>
> You have a period recipie for them! Want!
>
> BTW, I am told that if you put them in a mesh bag and put them in the
> tank of your toilet -- ·sing no "sanitizer" stuff, of course -- they
> will be leached in a few weeks with no effort. Just don't tell your
> guest that "you rinsed them in the toilet". Me, I tend to anchor the bag
> in a suitable stream and leave them there for a while.
>
> /UlfR

I've yet to see definitive proof of acorns being eaten in period, even
in famine conditions. If someone has proof of this, or even better, a
period recipe I'd like to see it. Acorns seem to be eaten indirectly by
first feeding them to pigs.

For a little more on preparing acorn flour for human consumption, check
this file in the FOOD section of my files:
nuts-msg          (49K) 12/16/99    Nuts, acorns, nut flours in medieval foods.

Of course marzipan or sugar-paste acorns might be another idea.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net