SC - Acorns

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed Aug 23 20:41:01 PDT 2000

Lobera de Avila, _Banquete De Nobles Caballeros_  Originally published
in 1530.  Modern edition c. 1996.  ISBN 84-88947-59-3

CAPITULO XXX
DE LAS BELLOTA Y SU COMPLEXION

Las bellotas son frias en el primer grado, secas en el segundo.  Son
dificiles de digerir, constipativas del vientre, provocativas de orina.
Tarde descienden del estomago.  Causan dolor de cabeza.  Las
cascaras dellas son estiticas.  Aprovechan al fluxo de sangre, maxime
a las mujeres.  Aprovechan contra el veneno.  Polvo de la substancia
dellas provoca orina, y es bueno para estrangurria bebido con vino
blanco o con aqua de regaliza (Rasis e Isaac.)

My rough translation:
Chapter XXX
OF ACORNS AND THEIR NATURE

Acorns are cold in the first degree, dry in the second.  They are difficult
to digest, constipate the belly, and provoke urine.  They are slow to
descend from the stomach.  They cause headaches.  Their shells are
astrigent.  They are useful for the flux of blood, above all in women.
They are useful against poison.  The powder of their substance provokes
urine, and is good for "estrangurria" [a bladder ailment] when drunk with
white wine or with licorice water. (Rasis and Isaac.)

note: according to my dictionary of medieval Spanish, "estrangurria" is a
condition of the bladder in which urine only comes out drop by drop.
The word seems to be related to "strangulation".  I do not know if there
is an appropriate modern term.

Hope this helps.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)