SC - Double cream

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 24 06:49:58 PDT 2000

deborah minyard wrote:

> Anybody know what "double cream" is?
> Maddalena

Roughly equivalent to whipping cream in the USA. (Which is not the same
thing as heavy cream, although heavy cream can be whipped.) Single cream
is more or less what we'd call light cream. Heavy cream, though, is
about as high in butterfat content as you're likely to find in stores in
the USA (see how nice I am to make way for all the people who will now
write that they can get cream that is 99% butterfat in their local
market?), while in the UK and Europe higher-fat creams are more readily
available commercially, the best-known here being Devonshire or clotted cream.

It's too early in the morning, and I haven't finished my tea, or I'd
find the specific butterfat percentage ranges for the various kinds of
cream in the USA and the UK. Maybe someone else has this information
handy?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy