SC - duck and bread

margali margali at 99main.com
Thu Aug 24 08:50:21 PDT 2000

I have a question about persian foods and duck. I have Cariadocs vol 1
which has al Bagdadi [actually, it sort of appears like several versions
ov al Bagdadi, 2 in the very fromt and a third at the end of vol 1]

I want to do Phlips birthday duck next year as a persian themed dinner,
and I noticed chicken recipes but nothig for duck. Is it possible that
the original translation says chicken but the actual word is 'fowl'
including duck as an option instead of chicken? Did they not cook ducks?
Would it be OK to substitute duck in  judhab khubz al-qata'if?

Also, what type of "bread" is qata'if? I noticed that in chapter X,
various flour products are mentined and all it has to say about qata'if
is "This is of various kinds. Stuffed qata'if are baked into long
shapes, stuffed with almonds and fine ground sugar, rolled around and
laid out; then sesame oil, syrup, rose water, and fine-ground pistachios
are thrown on. Fried qata'if are baked into loaves, stufed with almonds
and fine ground sugar kneaded with rose water, rolled and fried in
sesame oil, then taken out and dipped in syrup and removed. Plain
qata'if are put into a dish and immersed in sesame oil, then syrup is
added, rosewater and fine ground pistachios." It almost sounds like they
are referring to crepelike things, a thin flexible flatbread or pita
like bread.

judhab khubz al-qata'if
Take qata'if bread as required ; spray the dish with a little rosewater,
and place the bread thereon in layers, putting between each layer
almonds and sugar, or pistachio ground fine ; spray again with
rosewater. When the bread fills the dish pour on a little sesame oil and
cover with syrup. Hang over it a fat plucked chicken, smeared with
saffron ; when cooked, remove. Small stuffed qata'if are also treated
this way.

[both cites A Collection of Medieval and Renaissance Cookbooks vol I 6th
ed.]

I think for buffet serving in camp, I might go with the 'small stuffed
qata'if' treated this way, and as we are partially cooking the ducks
ahead of time to leach out most of the fat and speed the in camp cooking
process, it would be nice with a rich duck dripping, but if it is for
only chicken, can you suggest a period persian duck recipe? I can always
make it for the pot luck next year with chicken...I do haev to admit, I
was thinking of plunging in and using my pita recipe, and making it with
pitas in the mean time, it sounds like a really neat form of bread
pudding made really rich with drippings!
margali