SC - duck and bread

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 24 19:34:07 PDT 2000

Adamantius wrote:

> Susan Fox-Davis wrote:
> >
> > If you have trouble finding qata'if in your area, you could shred the more-easily found
> > phyllo yourself, it's time-consuming but possible.  Partly-frozen dough would probably
> > handle easier, roll it up and cut it with a sharp knife like noodles, really thin
> > noodles, as I said before like vermicelli.
> >
> > Qata'if bstilla?  Hmm.  Sounds yummy, but it could be messy, you would want to roll it
> > really even and tight to prevent those embarrassing 'fallout' problems.
>
> Is there any evidence to suggest that the modern qata'if product of
> shredded phyllo/borek is what is referred to in Al Baghdadi, etc.?

No evidence on paper.  It's all just flour and water.  I'd serve it at a banquet, but
probably wouldn't try to enter it in a documentation-intensive competition situation... yet.

Balthazar sez:

xtra duck fat?  Sounds like Confit makin's to me...
Actually, duck fat can be stored in a crock at room
temp for a good long while.  I use it, on rare
occasion, as a shortening in my "Duck Stuffed Bread"
(for lack of a better name).  Duck Confit and Port
Poached Duck Breast, baked inside a free-form French
loaf.  It's a very nice picnic bread, and travels very
well (until you slice it).  My son loves it, and we
eat it with Fontina cheese and sparkling apple cider
(although I'm pretty sure that wine would be good with
it, too...)

Oh my that sounds good.  Say, there's a war next week here.  Got a good confit recipe?  I'm
having trouble find one, for some reason.

Whomever here is going to Potrero War in Calafia, please consider yourself invited to the
"Taste of Caid" cordial-tasting party, held in the Sable & Or pavilion of House Ravenspur
[that's us].

Selene
selene at earthlink.net