Filo/phyllo-- was [Re: SC - duck and bread]

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Aug 24 20:42:04 PDT 2000

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> --- Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:
> > Is there any evidence to suggest that the modern
> > qata'if product of
> > shredded phyllo/borek is what is referred to in Al
> > Baghdadi, etc.?
> >
> > Adamantius
>
> >From what I have read in the "Oxford Companion of
> Food", the article on filo/phyllo seems to suggest
> that the thin filo dough is out of period for SCA use.
> Mid-17th century, if I recall correctly. It does
> mention that filo's predecessor was actually thin
> slices of bread or perhaps a very thin pita bread.
> Apparently from what I have read, the period version
> of baklava was actually thin bread stacked together.
> This started off as a nomadic Turkish dish from the
> 14th century.

That was kind of the impression I got, even from reading the older
recipes for stuffed qata'if, etc.; they all seemed to be talking of a
stretched bread along the lines of lavosh, which could then be stacked,
folded, or rolled for different effects. What I really wanted to know
was if there was any reason to believe that the shredded modern form is
anything but modern.

BTW: How much should I pay for The Oxford Companion to Food? I saw it
the other day in The Strand for, IIRC, ~$40, which I gather is a fair
markdown from the cover price.  Is it worth it?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com