non-member submission - Phyllo (was Re: SC - duck and bread)

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Aug 25 09:37:38 PDT 2000

>>> Susan Fox-Davis wrote:
> > <<SNIP>>Partly-frozen dough would probably
> > handle easier, roll it up and cut it with a sharp knife like
noodles,
really thin
> > noodles, as I said before like vermicelli.

>>> Harold Tackett<htackett at tds.net> 8/25/00 9:22:51 AM >>>
I find that qata'if / shredded phylo (The name I find it under is
Kunafeh)
looks like fresh angel-hair pasta. If you can find or make fresh pasta
this
could be an option.
Dinah bint Ismai'l  >>>>>>>

        This might work very well as a substitute, but I suspect it will
behave
a bit differently since pastas are often made with egg and oil as well
as the
simple flour/water/salt that comprises phyllo.  You won't need near so
much
oil/fat, I would suspect, in order to keep it from becoming brittle and
dry.
        In terms of approaching historical cookery, the thin shreds of
simple thin
bread seems a better direction to go.  Noodles are certainly ubiquitous
enough,
but going another step that way rather than experimenting with a flat
bread
seems the wrong direction.  Shredded tortilla- type bread or pita might
be more
toward the information given elsewhere on the thread?
        I WILL however play with the fresh angelhair as a wrap for meats
and
sweetmeats for myself and friends.  Pan roasted cheicken breast/beef
steak then
wrapped in angelhair and deep fried sounds awfully good, especially with
a bit of
cheese, grains of paradise and pancetta along in the wrap!

niccolo difrancesco