SC - Period cookshop at Pennsic?

E. Rain raghead at liripipe.com
Fri Aug 25 09:52:42 PDT 2000

I've never actually made it to Pennsic "next year in the holy land" so my
response is purely in the theoretical as opposed to being a real prospective
customer, but I love this idea.
Heck if they went the whole 9 yards & had a period kitchen too  me & my
flesh hook would be right up front helping plan, cook, etc!

I agree that there should be a mix of dishes, but this doesn't necessarily
mean a mix of cultures.  Although 14th c. English Monday 15th c. Italian
Tuesday & 13th c. Islamic Wednesday does have some appeal it wouldn't be my
first choice.  I would rather see it run as a medieval inn, cooking the
whole week from one period/corpus.

If I could buy period foods (well & safely cooked) at events I'd start
patronizing food merchants occasionally, but since the last several events
I've been at in anTir have had such stellar options as sushi & hot dogs,
I'll stick with cooking my yummy 15th c. food in my 15th c. encampment thank
you!

would it really be that much harder to do a medieval kitchen vs. a modern
one with a whole year in advance to plan?  If you didn't want to build them
onsite, you could make your brick oven(s) at home & transport them carefully
to site along with your other gear.  you could round up some folks to loan
their firedogs & spits & pots etc, and plan your menu around the available
equipment. Offer to feed a few strapping lads in return for dishwashing
service, and voila!  you'd have to choose whether to have disguised coolers
or cook foods that don't require them of course.  I could go either way:
pickled chicken (lords salt) is great for making henne in egyrdounce and
Cured hams can be de salted on site & used around day 3 etc...

this would be a lot of fun to plan!

Eden

WARNING: Dates on the calendar are closer than they appear!

Eden Rain
raghead at liripipe.com