SC - OOP - Wedding favor question

Tara Sersen tsersen at nni.com
Fri Aug 25 21:35:22 PDT 2000

Greetings.

I need some OOP but food-related advice.

My fiance and I are kicking around ideas for unique wedding favors.  Our
wedding will be in October, in the Adirondacks.  It will be outside, and
will be autumnal in theme.  We'll be decorating with pumpkins and apples
and serving cider and beer.  Instead of a wedding cake, we're having a
stack of wedding cupcakes decorated with mellocreme pumpkins and candy
corn.

One idea that I had was a "warm up kit" - a bottle of cider and some
mulling spices to take home and warm up, to beat the October chill.  I'm
picturing a 12 or 16 ounce bottle of cider with a tea-bag of spices tied
to the neck or handle.  But, we need to find the 12 or 16 ounce bottles
of cider.  My experience has been that the cider sold in glass bottles
is the carbonated-apple-juice variety, not the good, thick rich stuff
that is heavenly when warmed up.  I've never seen the good stuff in
glass bottles.  I don't think a plastic pint-sized milk jug would work,
because we need it to keep without refrigeration - most of our guests
are staying in a hotel.

So, my question is, do any of you know of a brand of *good* cider of the
variety I described that comes in small glass bottles?  I'd especially
be excited if it's an organic brand, but I'm not going to get too picky.

Alternatively, never having brewed, I don't know how difficult it would
be to bottle my own.  I guess in theory it's just like canning, which
I've done before.  But, I don't know how to secure lids on bottles, and
is there any difference in sterilizing them since they're not as easy to
immerse as a wide-mouthed jar?  Can anybody advise me on whether this
would be a useful way to spend my time?

Thank you!

- -Magdalena vander Brugghe

ps. just in case yer interested, http://users.nni.com/tara-n-craig is