SC - OOP - period recipe (1800s)

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Sat Aug 26 15:20:37 PDT 2000

This isn't our period, but for those who collect period recipes I am passing
it along.
Philli[pa
"PROFESSORS"
Professorer

This recipe was found in a cookbook from the 1800s, "for good girls".

75 g (good 2 1/2 oz) almonds
1 dl (1/2 cup) all-purpose white flour
150 g (good 5 oz) butter or margarine
40 g (scant 1 1/2 oz) baker's chocolate
2 eggs
2 1/2 dl (1 1/4 cup) sugar

Chop almonds and mix with the flour. Stir butter or margarine soft and mix
with the chocolate, which you've softened up in a waterbath. You can
substitute the chocolate for 2 1/2 tbs cocoa powder.

Whisk up the eggs together with the sugar and then mix it with flour,
almonds, butter, and chocolate. Spread out the batter in a buttered small
roasting pan, 25 x 25 cm / 10 x 10 " in diameter. Bake this large
"professor" at 225 - 250C/435 - 475F for about 20 minutes. Immediately after
baking, cut out small "professors" with a sharp knife in square pieces.

These cookies have become quite well-known in Sweden, and they're sure to
have been made in the school kitchens (home economics) during the 40s and
50s.

Enjoy!

Bella