SC - With a Curtsey to Their Majesties: An Introduction

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Aug 26 20:47:45 PDT 2000

Lady Celia introduced herself and commented:
> I am
> originally from the former Barony (now Shire) of Glaedenfeld (Nashville,
> TN) and now live under the aegis of the Barony of South Downs (Atlanta,
> GA), both in the beautiful kingdom of Meridies.

Welcome to the SCA-Cooks list! Baron Akim who is also from Glaedenfeld
has recently joined this list also. I greatly enjoyed getting to talk
to him on this list and at this last Pennsic.

> I've joined this list for several reasons, but the main two are that I am
> currently actively researching feasts and feastdays throughout history, how
> our holiday customs evolved and what the folklore is surrounding food in
> certain cultures, specifically in Western Europe and the British Isles, and
> this research has brought about my second reason for being here, which is a
> renewed interest in becoming active in the SCA again and doing some actual
> medieval cooking.  :-)

You might find some of the book listings and reviews in this file in the
FOOD-BOOKS section of my Florilegium files to be of use to you in your
researching period food practices:
books-food-msg    (69K)  5/25/00    Books about food. Not cookbooks.

I also have some files and bibliographies on period cookbooks. If you have
been away from period cooking and research for several years, you may be
interested in checking out these files. A number of new cookbooks on period
food have been published in the past few years.

> I know from experience that SCA cooks are often a
> treasure trove of information and resources and I'm very excited and
> honored to be able to participate in an exchange of information with such
> esteemed colleagues.

A lot of useful information, from first hand cooking experiences and
redactions for both individual dishes and large feasts to comments
and referances on period food, kitchens and animals has been freely
given on this list. Many of these comments and most of the period
recipes can be found in the various food sections of my Florilegium
files.

Please feel free to ask questions or give your opinions and suggestions
on this list. We have all levels of experience on this list, from
professional cooks to those just now learning cooking.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net