SC - ALOSED BEEF

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Aug 27 14:58:17 PDT 2000

At 9:01 AM -0400 8/25/00, Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:
>I am working on the recipe below.  Can someone please tell me how close I am
>to correct in the translation of it:
>Thanks Phillipa

[snip questions answered by Adamantius]

>Take lyr of beef; cut hem in lechys. Lay hem abrode on a bord.
>Take the fatte of motyn, or of beef, herbys & onions hewyn togefyr,
>& strew hit on the leches of beef with poudyr of pepyr & a lytyl salt,
>& roll hit up therynne. Put hem on a broch; rost hem."

Here is a parallel recipes from Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books,
with our version:

Alows de Beef or de Motoun
Two Fifteenth Century p. 40

Take fayre Bef of the quyschons, and motoun of the bottes, and kytte
in the maner of Stekys; than take raw Percely, and Oynonys smal
y-scredde, and yolkys of Eyroun sothe hard, and Marow or swette, and
hew alle thes to-geder smal; than caste ther-on poudere of Gyngere
and Saffroun, and tolle hem to-gederys with thin hond, and lay hem on
the Stekys al a-brode, and caste Salt ther-to; then rolle to-gederys,
and putte hem on a round spete, and roste hem til they ben y-now;
than lay hem in a dysshe, and pore ther-on Vynegre and a lityl
verious, and pouder Pepir ther-on y-now, and Gyngere, and Canelle,
and a fewe yolkys of hard Eyroun y-kremyd ther-on; and serue forth.
[end of original; thorns replaced by th]

1/2 lb lamb or beef
1/3 c chopped parsley
1/4 c finely chopped onion
2 hard-boiled egg yolks
1 T lamb fat or marrow
1/4 t ginger
4 threads saffron
salt
1/4 c vinegar
pinch pepper
1/4 t more ginger
1/4 t cinnamon
1 more hard-boiled egg yolk

Meat is sliced 1/4" thick; slices should be about 6" by 2". Spread
with parsley, etc. mixture, roll up on skewers or toothpicks, broil
about 10-12 minutes until brown. Mix sauce and pour over. Makes 6-8
rolls 2" long and 1" to 1 1/2" in diameter.

Platina also has a version, under the name (in the older translation)
"The flesh of veal".

Elizabeth/Betty Cook