SC - Protectorate Feast 2 - No recipes

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Aug 28 09:01:05 PDT 2000

> I'm lucky.  This incident came closer to killing me than most of the other
> dangerous and stupid encounters of the past 40 years.  There is at least one
> more surgery ahead and an open question of how my health will affect the
> feast.  It has already caused problems with my shopping.

One word: Lackeys.

Get yourself several helpers. Expirienced crew people.
You design the menus, prepare the recipes, create the shopping lists.
Get others to help you with the real work. Have volunteers do any
pre-cooking. Or have a couple of pre-cook parties.
Become an organizer instead of a cook. During the feast day you should
be on site at all times but direct the volunteers instead of doing it yourself.

This helps in many ways. First you can take it easy, supervise several jobs
instead of concentrating on just one and it helps other people learn how to
cook the dish. At the last 12th Night feast I did many people learned the
proper way to make custards. Look at this as an opportunity to teach hands
on breadmaking techniques. Taste, adjust, organize, fix and supervise.
Namron Protectorate is important enough that there should be several
members of the barony and elsewhere who are willing to do the work.

Of course I never do this myself but it's good advice.

> I also have one other problem.  I'm short one dish -- Elizabethan,
> vegetable, preferably green, definitely not spinach.  Anyone got any ideas
> or recipes?

I have a wonderful recipe for a Compound Salat around the house. Basically
a large salat with herbs, flowers, raisins and dates and many other
ingredients.
Rather sweet and sour. That could fit the bill. I believe Anne-Marie gave
it to me.

Good luck.

> Bear

Gunthar