Filo/phyllo-- was [Re: SC - duck and bread]

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Aug 28 12:50:14 PDT 2000

- --------------A6A53D12ED755D367300C5E9

Elizabeth, and all,
The following is the recipe that I have for the "proto-baklava" .  It comes from an
article written by Paul Buell as part of a monograph on The Mongol Empire and its
Legacy.  Paul's article is entitled "Mongol Empire and turkicization:  The Evidence
of Food and Foodways"

8.  Güllach
Mix evenly egg wite, bean paste and cream [to make a dough].  Spread out [dough]
and fry into thin pancakes.  Use one layer of white powdered suger, [ground] pine
nuts and [ground] walnuts for each layer of pancake.  Make three-four layers like
this.  Pour honey disolved in ghee ["Muslim oil"] over the top.  Eat.

This is listed as one of 12 "Muslim" recipes of the Chü-chia pi-yung shi lei, a
late fourteenth century household encyclopedia for popular chinese consumption.
Paul, both in writings in this article and in A Soup for the Qan and in e-mail
conversations, has indicated his belief that this is a proto baklava recipe, and I
agree with him.

We do plan to include this as one of the sweets we will be serving at our Festival
of Kites next month.

Kiri

david friedman wrote:

> At 9:16 AM -0400 8/25/00, Elaine Koogler wrote:
> >Yup, in truth, I have a recipe from an article that Paul Buell wrote regarding
> >Turkish influences on Mongol cookery that contains a "proto" baklava
> >that we're
> >considering serving at our Oriental feast next month.  The reference is
> >currently buried in the van amongst our Pennsic things, but will share it when
> >it gets unpacked.
> >
> >Kiri
>
> Please do, when you get dug out; I'd be really interested in seeing this one.
>
> Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook

- --------------A6A53D12ED755D367300C5E9

Elizabeth, and all,
It comes from an article written by Paul Buell as part of a monograph on
<i>The
Mongol Empire and its Legacy.</i>  Paul's article is entitled "Mongol
Empire and turkicization:  The Evidence of Food and Foodways"
Spread out [dough] and fry into thin pancakes.  Use one layer of white
powdered suger, [ground] pine nuts and [ground] walnuts for each layer
of pancake.  Make three-four layers like this.  Pour honey disolved
in ghee ["Muslim oil"] over the top.  Eat.
pi-yung shi lei</i>, a late fourteenth century household encyclopedia for
popular chinese consumption.  Paul, both in writings in this article
and in <i>A Soup for the Qan </i>and in e-mail conversations, has indicated
his belief that this is a proto baklava recipe, and I agree with him.
our Festival of Kites next month.
regarding
is
it when