SC - Double cream

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Aug 28 21:02:34 PDT 2000

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> Don't know why it wouldn't work, although you might want to experiment
> first.  The recipe sounds very similar to some Alfredo sauces I've seen
> recipes for.
> --Maire
>
> deborah minyard wrote:
> >
> > Now that I'm more informed (Thanks to all), here'es my quandary
> > I've found double cream 5.95 for 6 oz.
> > The recipe is a pasta with a sauce of double cream, parmesan cheese,and
> > nutmeg.  Would it work just as well with reduced whipping cream or added
> > butter?  The fease it for about 80-90 people.

It ought to work if you time it right. You could probably do this with
about two gallons of heavy cream, a pound or so of unsalted butter,
maybe 8-10 pounds of dry pasta, or about 12 pounds fresh pasta.
Basically what you do is heat about 3/4 of the cream in a wide,
heavy-bottomed pan like a brazier, until it begins to reduce and
thicken. Stir frequently to avoid burning, and watch for any tendency to
boil over. Keep the butter cold, and cut it into small pieces, maybe 1/2
Tbs. chunks or smaller. When the cream has thickened enough to coat the
back of your spoon, remove from the heat and start adding the butter a
few pieces at a time, stirring constantly until the butter is fully
melted and incorporated into the cream before adding the next batch,
another few pieces. As you progress you can add more butter at each
interval. When your butter is all whipped into the sauce, you can add
your hot boiled noodles and toss in 2-3 pounds of grated Parmaggiano.
Toss until the cheese is incorporated (you can figure out your own
nutmeg input, I don't do that newfangled stuff), and adjust the
moistness with the remaining cream. Consider adding some salt to taste,
but _after_ the cheese is included.

Yes, this does resemble some Fettucine Alfredo recipes, although the
cream is not in the original from Alfredo's Restaurant in Rome. It uses
only a particularly white local butter similar to that French stuff from
the Loire Valley that is used to make real beurre blanc, Parmaggiano, a
bit of the water from boiling tha pasta, salt and pepper.

Does this come from a period source?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy