Broken Ovens (was Re: SC - Dining with William Shakespeare)

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Tue Aug 29 09:11:53 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From:  Lady Celia des L'archier

> tend to run about $50.  I got mine at Service Merchandise but that was
> years ago.  You can also get a small convection oven, a little larger than
> the "convenience" oven, which will hold a large chicken or small turkey at
> places like "Home Place" for the $100 range.

If I could afford any of these things, I would have the problem solved
already!  The solution is sitting in the kitchen "hallway" (the space
between my kitchen bench and the next wall - used as a walkway to the back
door and toilet.  It is a massive double oven we picked up second-hand but
we haven't the money to make a cabinet strong enough to hold it (that will
take about AU$100 in materials and the work will be done by a friend!  One
day - *sigh*.  Still, money is so tight that this Christmas may well be just
a barbecue in a nearby park, so I guess I will survive another oven-less
Christmas!  Still, thanks for the ideas.  Actually, you would be surprised
what I can manage with what I have.  I did a roast lamb "Guard of Honour"
glazed with apricot juice and stuffed with apricot stuffing in the microwave
last year.  It was wonderful, and really surprised me with how well it came
out.

Of course, the other reason that these ideas won't work is that I have
already run out of power points (and space!) in the kitchen.  Even getting
out the dehydrator is a major effort.  I have to move the toaster oven which
sits on top of the microwave so that the dehydrator can go there instead.
Leaving me wondering where to put the oven... *grin*

Anyway, not having an oven gives me a reason to gripe - ;-)

Gwynydd