SC - Health, medicines, etc.

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Aug 29 11:36:49 PDT 2000

I wasn't going to say anything on this subject, but...

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> Actually I saw prescription medications as those used to treat temporary
> diseases which, if you have one, you should not be spreading it to others.

I would guess that most prescriptions are taken for long-term or chronic
disease, not for short term. Even if not- should taking antibiotics for
a non-communicable sinus infection exclude me from polite company? I
don't go to events when I'm contagious.

> My comments were meant to reflect the opinion
> that if a persons medical problems are not controllable by the person, I fail
> to understand why they would consider coming to an event, let alone laying
> the responsibility for their continued health onto those who do go. I don't
> do this and I fail to see any good reason why others choose to do so.

I don't know anyone who does, frankly.

My medical problems are chronic and controlled only by medication and
paying very close attention to how I'm feeling/amount of rest/proper
food and liquid, etc. The responsibiility for that attention is mine (I
will admit that my loved ones tend to keep an eye on me). But I don't
understand at all the idea that someone should not come to events if
they cannot control their medical problems. It is rather part of the
definition of a medical problem that the sufferer cannot control it!

I keep looking for a missing verb or something that would explain why I
read it that way, but there is is. I enjoy going to events. And unless I
am taken ill (a rarity) my condition and the little bottles of
interesting chemicals that live in my bag are the concern and at the
notice only of those who are welcome in my pavilion when I am not fully
dressed. No one else is aware (that I know of) or is affected. But if I
leave behind my medication for a more 'authentic' experience, you can
bet it will affect others! I just might whack you with my cane!

If I have grossly misunderstood, I am quite happly to be gently
enlightened...

'Lainie