SC - oop - Brewer's Casserole

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 29 11:33:35 PDT 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> How does one shred a leek? Lengthwise? Crosswise? IMNTK.

IMNTK? There's an acronym I've never seen before. I managed not to know?

Leeks are often split lengthwise or quartered to make it easier to
remove sand and such from between the leaves. Standard wisdom, such as
it is, involves trimming off some of the tough green leaves, rinsing and
then soaking the leek, either split or whole, depending on how you
intend to cook it, in a tall container like a coffeepot, upside-down so
gravity does the work, then rinsing again. If you've split or quartered
your leek, you can then cut your leek into one-or-two-inch lengths, then
shred those pieces lengthwise.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy