SC - interesting URL - food shopping!

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Aug 29 12:50:30 PDT 2000

As happens today.  My mother got her spaghetti sauce recipe from a good friend.
I know that she modified it to our family's taste.  Both my sister and I got the
recipe, in turn, from our mother.  It was pretty much in the form of medieval
recipes, in that it was, for the most part, a listing of ingredients.  I'm not
sure what my sister has done with it, but I have made several modifications to
reflect my differing taste and increased awareness of different ingredients.  I
still don't have quantity information as to how much of what I add, and I have,
in turn, shared it with other friends who have enjoyed eating it and have asked
how I made it.  I think that all cooks do this, to one degree or another.  It's
just a part of the creative whatever that is part of us all...and why we enjoy
doing what we do!   If I felt that I had to slavishly follow a set formula in
cooking, as though it were a science experiment, I doubt whether I'd actually do
very much of it!

Even though this is a modern example, and even though I don't have a speck of
documentation for this being how it was done in period ;-), I have to believe
that this is how they did it because our human creativity can't have changed that
much!

Kiri