SC - Re: Period cookshop at Pennsic?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Aug 30 10:28:01 PDT 2000

At 8:35 AM -0400 8/30/00, Catherine Deville wrote:

>the problem here mi'lord is what to serve the entire dish on/in.  and we're
>trying to avoid doing it on paper, which is OOP for all cultures.  what
>would you recommend?

Regretfully, paper.

I don't think you are going to be able to serve a substantial range
of dishes without providing some sort of disposable dishes. You could
try to encourage people to bring their own, but most won't. More
would if you provided simple dishwashing facilities for them, but
that is a nuisance, and my guess is that most still won't.

You could use trenchers and serve a suitable cuisine--but that
eliminates soups and the like. And you probably don't want to provide
a trencher with (say) tart in ember day, but people probably do want
something to put it on.

I think the idea of doing 13-15th c. cuisine and serving everything
on trenchers is worth thinking about, but my guess is that the final
conclusion will be that it isn't workable.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/