SC - Period cookshop at Pennsic?

Nicholas Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Wed Aug 30 14:03:27 PDT 2000

>>> Christine A Seelye-King<mermayde at juno.com> 8/30/00 11:06:47 AM >>>
. . . and spent the first year cooking over an open flame for the entire time.  I
came back sick as a dog, and having had very little time off for the
enitire of my vacation (my vacation from being an apprentice chef, talk
about a busman's holiday!).
    This project would work well if there was a common fundraiser that the
participants all felt strongly about, or if there were someone who was
willing to take this on as their personal responsibility and as a
money-making venture, but I don't see great success coming from a project
done for the good of period cooking everywhere, no matter how altruistic
we feel.  <<SNIP>>
    Please consider the amount of work that would go into this thing, and
the fact that one or two people will end up putting in the lion's share
of work, before getting too grandiose in the planning.  Volunteering for
feastcrat duty for a regular event is very taxing, consider the
ramifications of multiplying that out by a REQUIRED sales time of a week
and a half.             Christianna  >>>>

	In the realm of thinking outside of the box, I began wondering about a targeted, limited, strategic strike concept.  Given the Cooper's and Pennsic's merchanting rules, we are within some strictly limiting guidelines for what we can do and when.  I am wondering, unfamiliar as I am, if we can approach the organizers with a projec to sell limited meals during limited time frames on a few days.  For example, we could publicize that our little venture would be available for patrons on Tuesday through Thursday of War week and be open for Lunch 11am to 2pm and Dinner 5pm to 8pm.

	That would give us flexibility to have fewer staffing and food storage needs.  We could sell our wares till the hopper's dry, and go on to prepare the next day's fare.  We are opena nad up front about how many hours or meals we will serve so folks can make plans . . . even sell meal vouchers ahead of time if desired.  I don't know how this would fit into 'rules and regulations' of the event, but it would give us a more feasible plan to introduce medieval foods to some number of patrons.
	Not to mention the possibility of providing a sort of personal chef concept of contracting out to encampments for meals of limited numbers (feasts on wheels).

just ideas along different, but similar lines,

niccolo difrancesco