SC - Paella

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 3 08:26:30 PDT 2000

> >Stefan li Rous wrote:
> >
> >> What is "Paella"?
>
> A kind of Saffron risotto regional to valencia.
>
> A traditional paella doesn't have seafood in it (like they mainly do these
> days) but snails and rabbit.  It's usually cooked in a heavy, flat, and round
> lipped pan used specifically for paella and cooked over a pine wood fire.  The
> pine wood is essential for getting the right taste (according to valencians).
> There's also an interesting version called paella negrro which uses squid ink
> to turn it black.

I did not know the pine wood fire part, I'll have to try that and compare.  The
paellellera pan [think of a heavy wok with the bottom flat] is good for cooking
other dishes as well;  I like it for cooking stews in general, more surface area
exposed to heat seems help it cook, more surface area exposed to the air above
facilitates evaporation of excess liquid in the stew.

> Damn, I'm getting hungry.  I think I know what I'm making for dinner tonight!
>
> Drake.

Me too, although I've been doing Japanese all week [and probably will do so next
week as well], and everyone around here is pretty sick and tired of rice, rice,
rice.

Selene