SC - Coeliac Foods & a recipe

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Sat Aug 5 11:19:49 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Bear

> In British usage, corn is less specific, usually meaning wheat, barley,
oats
> or maize, depending on locale.  What is more, my understanding is that our
use of the word "corn" here is closer to what was period practice.  I know
that we have discussed this before, but "corn" seems to have been a generic
term in period for grains of whatever type.  I guess that it then got
applied to maize when Europeans discovered that plant and has come to be
almost exclusively applied to it except in the case of cornflour as
discussed.

I was curious as to whether "real cornflour"
> was specific or general in application.  From your reply, the usage
appears
> to general.

Hmm, I am not quite sure that I understand what you are saying here.  If you
are wondering if we use the term "real cornflour", the answer is that I have
never heard it - although I have seen some confusion from people who don't
understand the generic meaning of "corn" as it is used in this product.

Gwynydd