SC - Period contraception

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Sat Aug 5 23:28:29 PDT 2000

I missed some of this thread but I'll reply here.

> >  <<Oddly enough, I don't know much about the history of the condom.).>>
>
> <<<I do but it is not appropriate to the cooks list so that knowledge
> will not appear here. :-)>>>
>
> Johann von Metten replies:
>  allright then, Ras, Where would you feel comfortable posting that
> information? Sounds interesting, possibly for the Known World Animal
> Husbandry and Arts and Sciences Symposium in 2001, care to teach a
> class?
>
> Johann, the co-ordinator of said event.

I'm afraid I don't have much info on the condom within the SCA time
period, but I do have info on other methods of birth control. Until
medicine began to get professionalized late in period, much of the
medical knowledge was kept by the midwives. There were some fairly
effective period measures. One of the best being Siphilium (sp?).
Unfortunately, because of overharvesting this plant became extinct
early in the first millennium. When medicine started to become
professionalized, the new medical practicioners along with the
church managed to wipe out much of the knowledge that was then
known.

For some referances and more information on this topic, check this
file in the PERSONAL CARE section of my files:
birth-control-msg (29K)  3/22/00    Period birth-control.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net