SC -corn in the USA

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Sun Aug 6 12:18:52 PDT 2000

Gwynydd said:

> I just want to clear up something which might add a bit of extra confusion
to this discussion (as though it needs it!).  I have now twice been quoted
as saying:

 " >There isn't a product known as "cornflour."   There is Flour
 wheat  -unless labeled differently in bold writing)  and there is *Corn
meal*.   Which is ground maize.  and Corn starch which is a corn product.<"
   Caointiarn answers:  That  was *MY* answer to the question "is there a
product labeled as "cornflour" in the USA?"

and Gwynydd asks:
> As I understand it, "cornmeal" is a different product again.  It is used
to make (and is also called, here in Australia, at least) "polenta".  Does
this mirror the American experience?<

    Yes, Corn meal (and it's different grades of grinding)  make polenta,
tortillas,  cornbread, indian pudding, mush, scrapple,  johnny cakes,  hush
puppies, . . . .ad infinitum.   I am not knowledgable about the various
grades of grinding corn meal,  but I do know there is a difference between
name brand corn meal & the hispanic product of masa harina.

Caointiarn