SC - Toys for Tots and other comments

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Mon Aug 7 12:18:33 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: <BalthazarBlack at aol.com>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Monday, August 07, 2000 11:55 AM
Subject: Re: SC - Toys for Tots and other comments

> Why do you disagree with that?  Is it the "morality" involved, or the
> expense?  If your opposition stems from the belief that participants are
> being "unfairly duped" into donating to the charity (as many on this list
> seem to believe), then I feel obligated to point out that the Toys For
Tots
> events are always advertised as such (at least all of the ones I have been
> to) well in advance.

No it is not a unfair duping I oppose.

 If it is a financial opposition, I also feel obligated
> to point out that the only stipulation is a "new, unwrapped toy".  There
is
> no minimum monetary limit, nor is there a maximum cap (as far as I know).
> Being the father of a brilliant 8-year-old, I can tell you from experience
> that a single Hot Wheel costs anywhere from .99 to $1.29, depending upon
> where you shop.

I am glad you have a brilliant child I have two one 7 and one 4.   I also
know that several of the items on the toys for tots want list is for
Barbies, GI Joes and really expensive toys like erector sets or Lego's.
$20 to a poor family is a fortune. (I have been there)
The objection is to collecting for a mundane charity, that does well enough
on its on.  Every Toys R Us has a TFT barrel as do most K-Marts or
Wal-Marts.

Now I would have no problem if the Local group put on a event to help one
specific family or even a group of families to have a better christmas, but
We in Calontir only hold one TFT event a year and that is in Jefferson City,
The toys don't help kids in Iowa or Nebraska or Kansas. They go to kids in
the Columbia- Jefferson City Area. I don't live there I don't want to help
them. I want to help kids in NE Iowa.

This is my Last post on the subject.

Thorbjorn

- ---