SC - Re: deadly lampreys

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Thu Aug 10 10:34:02 PDT 2000

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Or, alternately, and perhaps more likely, is there some precedent for
> lampreys being considered medically unsound, regardless of the actual
> cause of death? It seems significant that a fairish percentage of the
> Plantaganet line should go that way.

Not just lampreys- peaches and cherries too (John and Henry III but I
don't remember which is which). The Plantagenets had a thing for
overindulgence.

The operating word here is *surfeit*. They died of a *surfeit* of
lampreys, cherries, whatever. OVEREATING. May well have been gallbladder
obstruction, a bowel obstruction, appendicitis...

Lampreys were considered a rich dish, an indulgence. Safe in small
quantities but someone who overindulged was asking for it...

'Lainie
who started out a good Norman girl in the days of Henry and Eleanor...
Now I'm a bad Norman woman and the usurper, Henry Bolingbroke, has done
away with the True King and I've lost most of my lands in England...