SC - Jelly Bean and other flavours

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Aug 11 06:18:27 PDT 2000

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> >I just had a flash:  we can start inventing ice cream
> >flavors to try to sell in Japan to raise money for
> >the SCA-Cooks Land With Dream Kitchen Fund.
> >
> >First up:  Baked Potato Ice Cream with sour cream,
> >cheese, bacon bits and green onions!

I was thinking pickled herring with sour cream, shredded beets and
onions... I can't decide if a smooth puree or chunky style would be worse.

> When i was in Japan in the summer (and grant you, that was 28 years
> ago) my favorite cool treat was something the Japanese considered
> traditional, uji kintoki kori (i think that's the romanization)
>
> It's shaved ice with green tea syrup (and made from real matcha it
> had a bitter bite, not that wimpy stuff that often passes as green
> tea ice cream in the US), with a scoop of adzuki beans cooked with
> sugar (Japanese use adzuki beans in a number of sweets) nestled in
> the ice, and topped with a hearty dash of condensed milk.
>
> Still miss the stuff.
>
> I also remember having green mung bean and coconut ice cream bars
> somewhere, but i can't remember where...

My wife refers to these as Chinese sno-cones, I think they're largely
Taiwanese in origin, but they've been popular all over southern China
for at least a hundred years, and you can get them all over New York's
and San Francisco's Chinatowns. Not sure if they're made elsewhere, but
I haven't seen these in equivalent neighborhoods in Boston or
Philadelphia (both of which, the last time I checked, are essentially
strips of one, _maybe_ two blocks long). All of this may have changed in
the five years +/- since I was in either place.

However, I can get coconut, taro, red bean, green tea, mango, lichi and
peanut ice cream bars locally. (I _think_ I still have a couple of red
bean pops in the freezer.) Even more fun are the frozen cups of shaved
jelly coconut in coconut juice, and I think they also have frozen sugar
cane strips in syrup.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy