SC - Lemon Beer

Jane M Tremaine vikinglord at worldnet.att.net
Mon Aug 14 16:20:26 PDT 2000

>From my favorite Scandinavian cook book:
Sima or Lemon Beer:(Mead)Finnish

To Make 5 quarts

2 large lemons(mine were grapefruit sized)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
5 quarts boiling water
1/8 tsp of yeast(I used cooking yeast)
5 tsp of sugar 15 raisins

With a small sharp knife carefully peel off the yellow skins of the lemon (I
used a veggie peeler)
and set them aside.  Cut away the white membranes of the lemon and discard
them.  Slice lemon thinly.  In a 6-8 quart enameled or stainless-steel pan
combine the lemon slices, skins and two sugars.  Pour the water over and
bring to a boil, stirring often.  Let mixture cool to tepid add yeast.
Allow to ferment, uncovered, at room temp for about 12 hours. (I just left
mine in the pan, covered it and with a cotton towel to keep out any dust.)

To bottle, use 5 one quart bottles with very tight covers or corks.  Place
1tsp of sugar and 3 raisins in each bottle.  Strain the beer and pore the
liquid into the bottles.  Close bottles tightly and let stand a room temp
for 1-3 days or until the raisins have risen to the surface.  Chill.

Becarfull opening the bottles.  I had one act like Champaign and showered me
with Lemon beer at a tourney, as well as the top of my day shade.

Jana
ainal Message-----