SC - RE: sca-cooks V1 #2510

E. Rain raghead at liripipe.com
Tue Aug 15 10:25:36 PDT 2000

Thomas writes re my notes on eggplants:
> << similarly I do not find them in [...] Scully's 15th c. neapolitan
> colletion >>
>
> It is mentioned in recipe #33. The word "Marignani" seems to be one of
> the many regional variants; see Scully's glossary.

yes indeed I missed this since it's not a variation of the word I was
familiar with.
Scully says in his notes "This vegetable seems to be unknown in early
European cookery outside of the italian and iberian peninsulas.  among
Italian recipe collections only ours recognizes it."
seems a pretty clear sign that they only reason they knew of it in naples is
because of the spanish influence.

> Scappi 1570 has a recipe for "minestra di melanzane in
> diuersi modi con
> brodo di carne" (Cap. II 224, p. 83a); he says that eggplant can be
> prepared in some ways like the "zucche". Then, on fol. 151b and 363a
> there are several recipes with "molignane". If I am not mistaken, this
> is yet another word form for eggplants.

it may also be molegnare - a kind of plum (per Florio)Perhaps the word you
are thinking of is melongeua which florio cites as the latin for eggplant?
Unfortunately my scappi uses a different numbering system as far as i can
tell (Harvard, Kress Library edition)  so I can't go look for myself  if you
can give me the original scappi numbering ie "Libro Due, capitolo XIV" maybe
I can track them down & see what words my version uses :->

(The parallel recipe to the
> Neapolitan recipe collection #33 in the Riva del Garda Manuscript of
> Maestro Martino begins: "103. Per fare cocere li mollegnani ...";
> Benporat p. 190).

Working with the Library of congress edition (as well as the english
Epulario) I find no paralell to this recipe, although I've already come
across another recipe that is in the Riva del Garda, but neither of mine, so
I'm becomeing very interested in that edition :->  However per the scully
quote above, and the plum possibility, I would question whether this is in
fact an eggplant dish.

Eden

WARNING: Dates on the calendar are closer than they appear!

Eden Rain
raghead at liripipe.com