SC - 100's and 1000's (was Re: upholstery)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Aug 16 06:14:38 PDT 2000

Lee-Gwen Booth wrote:

> Some of it is, that is certain.  I get the feeling (but this is just from
> watching television - hardly a reliable source!) that Americans use brand
> names more often that Australians do (mind you, I still call breakfast wheat
> biscuits Weet Bix [not that I spell it that way in my head!] regardless of
> the brand...).

That may be a factor. Some Americans are imbued with brand preferences
at an early age, largely from advertising media. It doesn't help when a
bread company engages in what, if the product were a political
candidate, could only be regarded as negative campaigning, something
which is, in theory, considered dirty pool in the States, but which
happens with nauseating regularity anyway. A perfect, if fictional,
example would be, "I love Cheezy Poofs! You love Cheezy Poofs! If you
don't love Cheezy poofs, you are -- LAME!"

> On the "Pop Tarts" issue, though, I think I have only ever seen one type on
> the shelves - it is put out by a breakfast cereal company under the name
> "Pop Tarts", no icing, no sprinkles.

I would guess the garnishes, a.k.a. the opportunity to add even more
addictive processed sugar, came about in the mid 1970's? There are still
nekkid pop-tarts available, though, and they are relatively inoffensive,
provided you don't mistake them for food. They are made by the Kellogg
company, BTW. Somewhere I have a moderately frightening vegetarian
cookbook written by the Dr. Kellogg whose sanitarium and health-food
resort in Battle Creek, Michigan, became the company that makes
Pop-Tarts, Kellogg's Corn Flakes, all that wonderful stuff. What makes
it funny is that it is written in the 1880's, as I recall, and describes
a fairly stodgy semi-Classical cuisine, not unlike what you'd find in
The Settlement Cookbook, except nearly every recipe includes some
commercially produced protein supplement made by Kellogg's of Battle
Creek. It took me months to figure out that Protose(tm), an ingredient
in something unlikely like faux chicken pie, was in fact wheat gluten.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com