SC - Re: Translation Help

Ann & Les Shelton sheltons at conterra.com
Mon Aug 21 16:06:10 PDT 2000

Hi all:

I'm hip deep in de Nola right now (cartoon images only, please) and I've
run across a couple of things that I just cannot translate.  Web
searches are of no avail, and the nearest copy of the "Diccionario de la
Real Academia Espanola" is in a university library, which is closed for
the summer.  Can anybody tell me what "rabano vexisco" translates to?
The nearest thing I can come up with is "a type of radish called
rabaniza".  Then there's "gallocresto", which is a kind of sage, but
what kind?  Let's not even mention "toferas", "turmas" or "criadas de
tierra".  The closest I can come is "Criadillas de tierra", which
translates literally as "earth testicle".
Yikes.
Can anybody provide clarification/input/chocolate covered cherries?
(Worth a try.)
Vicente

I'm having a similar problem with the feast menus in Scully's new book.
I've been using 2 Italian-English and 2 Latin-English books, along with
attempts on several translation websites.  I'm getting most of it, but
there are some words/phrases that just aren't making it. The most
aggrievating one is "Aqua Odorifera Ale Mane," because it appears as a
course heading in 4 of the menus. The best I can guess is Aqua=water,
Odori=fragrent, referring to herbs and spices, Ale=?, Mane=morning.  The
only thing I get from the translation programs is "Aqua Odorifera Mane
Wing."

Another problem is "In Tace," i.e. "Capon De Latte In Tace."  I am
guessing that "Ficatelli" means something like fricasse {Ficatelli De
Capreto}, for lack of any other option.  "Sumata" is some unknown type
of salted meat, I'm guessing "Lengue" is tongue, and there are a few
roasted meats lying around, such as Signale, Quaglie {quail?}, Anatre,
and Zonchata that remain unidentified.

I'd appreciate help from anyone who can correct my mistakes, or provide
a URL for a Medieval Italian translation page.

John le Burguillun