SC - Re: Pennsic Tales

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Aug 22 06:10:15 PDT 2000

Par Leijonhufvud wrote:

> BTW, I am told that if you put them in a mesh bag and put them in the
> tank of your toilet -- úsing no "sanitizer" stuff, of course -- they
> will be leached in a few weeks with no effort. Just don't tell your
> guest that "you rinsed them in the toilet". Me, I tend to anchor the bag
> in a suitable stream and leave them there for a while.

Lutefisk, acorns, who's counting?

The former mayor of Nice publicized this as a method of soaking salt
cod. I like this part... even when the mayor was not at home in the
Hotel Municipal, or whatever you'd call such a place, the oldest and
most trusted servant, the majordomo, had instructions to go in and flush
the master's toilet ten times a day.

As for acorns, I suppose it might sort of defeat the purpose, but you
can buy pre-leeched acorns, peeled and soaked free of tannins and other
objectionable chemicals, at good Korean groceries. I haven't been able
to find out what people do with them.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy