SC - Re: Acorns

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Wed Aug 23 06:09:59 PDT 2000

In a message dated 8/23/00 12:22:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

> > it quoted a passage from Cervantes'
>  > "Don Quixote" which mentions that there was a passion
>  > in Spain for eating this particular acorn roasted like
>  > a nut.
>
>  FWIW, the 16th century Spanish health manual by de Villena includes
>  a "chapter" (one paragraph) on acorns.  However, it only discusses their
>  health characteristics, and does not give any indication if these were
>  eaten as food, or only medicinally.  I don't remember seeing any
>  Spanish recipes for them, but that proves nothing.

Is this available in English by any chance? Even if it is available only in
Spanish, my Laurel is skilled in Spanish translation and she might be able to
do it for me. I am keeping all of these notes in a document so that I can
begin work on creating acorn dishes. Thanks to everyone who is contributing.
I'm still recovering from Pennsic and havent' started any research  myself.

Could you post the ISBN or other identifying information on the Spanis
Manuscript?
Any help will be appreciated.

Hauviette