SC - need calamari advice

DeSevyngy at aol.com DeSevyngy at aol.com
Wed Aug 23 13:54:46 PDT 2000

In a message dated 8/22/00 9:10:33 PM Mountain Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<< > *** Pardon the intrusion M'lady.  However, I have a pressing question;
How the deuce does one clean calamari?  And is it good
 > deep fried in a batter? I can obtain calamari both fresh and frozen but
balked
 > at all the 'eyes' and tentacles.  >laughing<
 > Squeamishness from a big game hunter...go figure.

 For larger squid, say, a body tube length of 6 inches or less: grasp
 body tube in the non-dominant hand (if you are right-handed, grasp tube
 in left hand), and the head/tentacle section in the other hand. Using
 slow, steady tension, pull the head off the rest of the body, and most
 of the entrails will come away with it. >>

As you can see from this excellent description, squid really is meant to be
tender.  In my book, any meat that dresses by using your bare hands is just
not meant to be eaten tough! <grin>

Isabeau

HL Isabeau de Sevyngy
Squired to Sir Sakura kita no Maikeru